Knit Alongs (KALs) are exploding in popularity, partly because the Internet and social media allow people from all over the world access to meet, chat, gather and knit. A Knit Along is an event in which knitters gather (in person or online) to craft for a common purpose. Sometimes that purpose is simply for the joy of creating beautiful items with friends or it might be driven by charitable acts to knit for a common cause. Either way, try these fun, knit along ideas this weekend!
- “Flicks with Sticks”; Join or create a group to knit at the movies.
- “UFO (Unfinished Objects) Night”; have group bring anything that has been sitting around incomplete. Support each other in getting it done!
- Search on Facebook for various knit alongs to join.
- Combine your love of knitting with your love of baseball with a “Stitch ‘N Pitch” group event.
- Facebook is full of groups who host knit for a cause projects. The Sweetheart hat would be a great free knitting pattern for a charitable activity.
- If you are unsure about starting a local group of your own, check out various meet up groups online to see if any interest you.
- “Knit ‘N Lit”; the perfect marriage of knitting and literature, create a knitter’s book club. Select a book, read the book, gather together with your own knitting projects to discuss the chosen story.
- Have you ever considered a knitting summer camp? School House Press will get those skills in tip top shape!
- Turn your vacation into a knitting event! Check out websites like Knitter’s Journey for destination ideas.
- Since knitting is a form of relaxation, enjoy a women’s knitting retreat with your gal pals. Homespun Journey has listings for some or you can create your very own!
Whatever your purpose, start out with free knit patterns to determine the perfect project for you. Then, give one of these knit along ideas a try.